Thou art indeed just, Lord…

Lately, I can’t help but question the way of God. It is forbidden in my faith yet, I am human and to err is my attribute. My mind is full of confusion regarding faith, religion and theology. I do realize it is something beyond the prowess of a simple man, but yet, I question and I question a lot. The people in my surroundings labelled me an atheist, a sinner, satanic, etc.

I recall these lines I read;

Thou art indeed just; Lord, if I contend
With thee; but, sir, so what I plead is just.
Why do sinners’ ways prosper? And why must
Disappointment all I endeavour end?

- Gerard Manley Hopkins.

In what frame of mind a person of Hopkins calibre would have written this. Hopkins, of course, was a poet, scholar and an orthodox Roman Catholic priest! A person very staunch and rigid in his faith! Compared to him my propensity is zilch. Nonetheless he questioned God’s way.

One’s connection with one’s Creator touches the height of eccentricity. Everybody has a different way of getting in touch with God. We love God, we worship God, we pray to Him and yet sometimes we contest God. I believe no body has a right to question one’s way of relating with one’s God. Only God knows whom He keeps close.

What is your opinion about questioning the way of God? Does it make us a sinner?

Shazia.

No comments: